Mr K. Sheng Lim
MBChB, MD, FRCOphth
GMC number 3489945
Mr K. Sheng Lim is Head of the Glaucoma Service at St Thomas’ Hospital, and Reader (Associate Professor), Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine at King’s College London. He read medicine at Leicester University before training as an ophthalmologist in London, then specialising in Glaucoma after further training in Moorfields Eye Hospital and The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He obtained his Doctorate in Medicine (MD) from University College London.
He is currently involved in 12 glaucoma clinical trials as a chief or principal investigator and has delivered over 150 invited lectures nationally and internationally in the last twelve years. He is on the editorial and executive boards of scientific journals as well as editor of ophthalmology textbook.
Mr Lim’s submitted his Doctorate thesis to University of London in 2001, after spending more than two years at the Institute of Ophthalmology, Moorfields Eye Hospital and University of Brighton researching a new type of implant for glaucoma treatments. He is now the research lead for the ophthalmology department at St Thomas’ Hospital. His research is focused on pathophysiology and treatment of glaucoma.
His clinical expertise includes innovative glaucoma surgeries, such as: SLT laser, laser iridotomy, laser iridoplasty, Trabeculectomy, Baerveldt tube, Ahmed Valve, MicroShunt (PreserFlo) implant, iStent & Hydrus implant, as well as endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation (ECP) and Micropulse laser. Mr Lim also performs high volume cataract surgeries in the NHS as well as the private sector and offers premium intraocular lens options such as toric or multifocal lenses.
Mr K. Sheng Lim video
Dr. K. Sheng Lim (St Thomas’ Hospital, United Kingdom) talks about early results of his study, and his experiences treating glaucoma with the Cyclo G6 Laser System in MicroPulse mode at ESCRS 2018 in Vienna, Austria.
The Mechanism of Action of SLT – Video Interview with K Sheng Lim, United Kingdom.
There are many different types of glaucoma surgery available now to patients, but the field is always changing, and new treatments are on the horizon. Mr Kin Sheng Lim explains his involvement in the development of new implants for glaucoma, and how they will work.
The XEN implant is a device which can be used to treat glaucoma, in cases where drops are not helping in the management, or when other types of surgery cannot be performed. Expert ophthalmologist Mr Kin Sheng Lim explains how the XEN implant is inserted, and what to expect.
There are many different types of glaucoma surgery, ranging from laser treatment to minimally invasive glaucoma surgery. How do you know which one is the right choice for you, and how can they treat glaucoma? Expert ophthalmologist Mr Kin Sheng Lim explains what the different types of glaucoma surgery are, and who is suitable for each of them.
Intra-ocular lens was first developed by Sir Harold Ridley and implanted at St Thomas’ Hospital over 60 years ago. In this documentary, you will see the background to this revolutionary invention and watch Mr Lim operate on one of his patients at St Thomas’ Hospital as part of this documentary.
Selected Recent Publications
1. The effect of high intensity focused ultrasound on aqueous humor dynamics in glaucoma patients. P. Alaghband, E. Galvis, A. Ramirez, M. Madekurozwa, B. Chu, D. Overby, KS Lim. In Press. Ophthalmology Glaucoma
2. Predictors of selective laser trabeculoplasty success in open angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension: Does baseline tonography have a predictive role? Alaghband, Galvis, Daas, Nagar, Beltran-Agullo, Khawaja, Goyal, KS Lim. In Press. British Journal of Ophthalmology
3. SLT Laser. KS Lim, in WGA Consensus Series 11 Glaucoma Surgery. Editors: Weinreb, Ramulu et al. Kugler 2019. ISBN-10:9062992803
4. Treatment Outcomes in the Primary Tube Versus Trabeculectomy (PTVT) Study After Three Years of Follow-up. S Gedde, W Feuer, W Shi, KS Lim, K Barton, S Goyal, I Ahmed, J Brandt, Ophthalmology 2019 Oct 9. pii: S0161-6420(19)32109-8. DOI: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2019.10.002
5. Aqueous dynamic in Uveitic Eyes. P. Alaghband, E Galvis, D. Overby KS Lim. American Journal of Ophthalmology. December 2019 Volume 208
6. A randomized controlled trial comparing phacoemulsification alone versus phacoemulsification with goniosynechialysis in patients with primary angle closure disease. Husain, Do, Lai, Kitnarong, Nongpiur, Perera, Ho, KS Lim, T. Aung. July 2019 11. JAMA Ophthalmology
7. The cost and economics of endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation in the United Kingdom: a tertiary center experience. H Ho, I Rodrigues, M Syrimi, S Goyal, KS Lim. Journal of Glaucoma.Vol. 28, No. 6, June 2019 DOI: 10.1097/IJG.0000000000001245
8. Two-year results of a multicenter study of the ab interno gelatin implant in medically uncontrolled open-angle glaucoma. APEX Study Group. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, May 2019, Volume 257, Issue 5, pp 983–996
9. In vitro and in vivo delivery of a sustained release nanocarrier-based formulation of an MRTF/SRF inhibitor in conjunctival fibrosis. Tagalakis AD, Madaan S, Larsen SD, Neubig RR, Khaw PT, Rodrigues I, Goyal S, Lim KS, Yu-Wai-Man C.J.Nanobiotechnology.2018 Nov27;16(1):97
11. Long-term safety and efficacy of conjunctival pedicle graft revision for exposed glaucoma drainage devices. Guajardo J, Lim KS. Journal of Glaucoma: September 07, 2018
12. Preservatives in Glaucoma Medications. Steven D, Alaghband P, Lim KS. British Journal of Ophthalmology. November 2018 – Volume 102 -104
13. A controlled trial of a Schlemm’s Canal Microstent for IOP reduction in POAG and cataract: The Horizon Study. Singh K, Marquis R, Flowers B, Lim KS, Samuelson TW, Ahmed IK, Chang D & Crandall A. Ophthalmology. 2018 Jun 23: (17)33810-1.
14. Comparison of short-term post-operative hypotony rates of 23-gauge versus 25-gauge needles in formation of the scleral tract for Baerveldt tube insertion into the anterior chamber. Lim KS, Garg A, Barton K et al. Journal of Current Glaucoma Practice. January-April 2018;12(1):1-4
15. The effect of phacoemulsification on outflow facility. P. Alaghband, E. Galvis, Overby D & KS Lim. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2018 Apr 13
16. The Primary Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study: Methodology of a Multicenter Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Tube Shunt Surgery and Trabeculectomy with Mitomycin C. Gedde SJ, Chen PP, Heuer DK, Singh K, Wright MM, Feuer WJ, Schiffman JC, Shi W; Primary Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study Group. Ophthalmology. 2018 May; 125(5):774-781
17. Treatment Outcomes in the Primary Tube Versus Trabeculectomy (PTVT) Study After One Year of Follow-up. S Gedde, W Feuer, W Shi, KS Lim, K Barton, S Goyal, I Ahmed, J Brandt, volume 125, issue 5, May 2018, Pages 650-663 Ophthalmology
18. Recent developments in glaucoma. LIM KS. European Ophthalmic Review, 2017;11(2)
19. Control and optimisation of fluid flow in glaucoma drainage device surgery. Lim KS. Eye volume 32, pages 230–234 January 2018
20. Xen implant related endophthalmitis. Lim R & Lim KS. February 2018 Volume 125, Issue 2, Page 209 Ophthalmology
21. Phacoemulsification plus ECP versus phacoemulsification alone in POAG. F Pérez Bartolomé, I Rodrigues, S Goyal, E Block, W Lim, P Alaghband, J Guajardo, S Jones, KS Lim. European Journal of Ophthalmology. 2018 Oct 25:0
22. Ultrasound cycloplasy in glaucoma – Mechanism of action and their possible impact on intraocular pressure. KS Lim. European Ophthalmic Review. 2017;11(1):35–9
23. Gonioscopically Guided non-penetrating Cleft repair. Rodrigues I & KS Lim. Journal of Current Glaucoma Practice. 2017 Jan-Apr; 11(1):31-34.
24. Aqueous outflow facility after phacoemulsification with or without goniosynechialysis in primary angle closure: a randomised controlled study. Rodrigues, P. Alaghband, E. Galvis, S. Jones, L. Beltran-Agullo, R. Hussain, KS Lim. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2017 Jul; 101(7):879-885.
25. Managing Complications in Glaucoma Surgeries. Editors: F. Carbonaro & KS Lim. January 2017. Springer ISBN 978-3-319-49416
26.Managing Complications in Tube Surgery: Lim KS, Steven D, Carbonaro F, in ‘Managing Complications in Glaucoma Surgeries’. Editors: F. Carbonaro & KS Lim. January 2017. Springer ISBN 978-3-319-49416-6
27. Effectiveness of early lens extraction for the treatment of primary angle-closure glaucoma (EAGLE): a randomised controlled trial. Azuara-Blanco A, Burr J, Ramsay C, Cooper D, Foster PJ, Friedman DS, Scotland G, Javanbakht M, Cochrane C, Norrie J; EAGLE study group. Lancet. 2016 Oct 1; 388(10052):1389-1397.
28. Reversing the Rubeotic Rampage – Current Approaches in the Management of Neovascular Glaucoma. Rodrigues, KS Lim. European Ophthalmic Review, 2016;10(1):19–21
Complications in Glaucoma Surgeries. Editors: F. Carbonaro & KS Lim. In Preparation. Springer
SLT Focusing on Outflow. KS Lim. Chapter 5. Ellex E Book. Publish on line. http://www.slt-ellex.com/ebook/
Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty; L. Beltran-Agullo, KS Lim in ‘Atlas of Glaucoma Surgery’ . Editor T. Shaarawy. Publisher Saunders Elsevier. February 2014
Intraocular Pressure Fluctuation; A. Kotachal, KS Lim & D. Garway-Heath, in ‘Glaucoma- Volume 1’ Editor Shaarawy & Sherwood. Publisher Saunders Elsevier. 2010
Basic Science of Intraocular Pressure; Tamm, Toris, Crowston, Sit, KS Lim, Lambrou & Alm. in ‘Intraocular Pressure’ Editor R. Weinreb. Published 2009 by Kugler Publications
Recent Invited Lectures (2018- 2020)
1 Micropulse laser for treatment of Glaucoma. Invited international Speaker. In ‘Treatment of Glaucoma: Innovative Vector’ SYmposium. Fyodorov Institute. February 2020. Moscow, Russia
2 Understanding Aqueous Dynamic in Glaucoma. Keynote Speech. Ophthalmologica Belgium Congress November 27 2019 in Brussels. Belgium
3 PGI glaucoma implant. Catalan Ophthalmological Society Meeting. Barcelona 30th November 2019
4 PTVT study, 3 year result. UK & Ireland Glaucoma Society Congress, Glasgow, UK. 22nd November 2019
5 Aqueous Dynamics in secondary glaucomas. Pearls of glaucoma management. 4th THESSALONIKI REVISION COURSE IN OPHTHALMOLOGY. Greece 27th September 2019
6 Role of minimally invasive glaucoma surgeries in modern glaucoma treatment. 4th THESSALONIKI REVISION COURSE IN OPHTHALMOLOGY. Greece 27th September 2019
7 Challenging glaucoma cases. Thessaloniki, Greece. 4th THESSALONIKI REVISION COURSE IN OPHTHALMOLOGY. Greece 27th September 2019
8 ECP in Cataract Surgery. Watany ophthalmology summit. Cairo, Egypt. 3rd October 2019
9 Combined surgery in glaucoma and cataract. Watany ophthalmology summit. Cairo, Egypt. 3rd October 2019
10 SLT laser as a primary treatment in glaucoma. National Ophthalmology Congress. Slovakia 20th September 2019
11 Review of cililary body treatment. Micropulse laser symposium. ESCRS Paris, France. September 2019
12 Flow control in glaucoma surgery. Jules Gonin Ophthalmology symposium. Lausanne, Switzerland. June 2019
13 Primary Tube surgery. Glaucoma Day. Royal College of Ophthalmologists Congress, Glasgow, UK. May 2019
14 Tube surgery. Glaucoma Day. Royal College of Ophthalmologists Congress, Glasgow, UK. May 2019
15 Aqueous dynamics for glaucoma surgeons. Swedish Glaucoma Surgical Society Annual Meeting. Gothenburg May 2019
16 Managing tube complications. Swedish Glaucoma Surgical Society Annual Meeting. Gothenburg May 2019. Gothenburg May 2019
17 SLT in glaucoma. Greek Glaucoma Society Congress. Athens, Greece. May 2019
18 Aqueous Dynamics For Glaucoma Surgeons. Greek Glaucoma Society Congress. Athens , Greece, May 2019
19 Glaucoma medications and Ocular Surface Disease. Trent Ophthalmology Meeting. Grantham, 3rd May 2019
20 Preservatives in glaucoma medications. Ophthalmology Case Report. Poznan, Poland 5th April 2019
21 Primary tube surgery. The time is now? Ophthalmology Case Report. Poznan, Poland 5th April 20019
22 Tube surgery and corneal complications. World Glaucoma Congress. Melbourne March 2019
23 Tube surgery technique. World Glaucoma Congress. Melbourne March 2019
24 Primary Tube Surgery. Moorfields International Glaucoma Symposium. London, UK. January 2019
25 Primary Tube Surgery. Glaucoma Congress. Kuwait. 1-3 December 2018.
26 Cataract Surgery for POAG. Glaucoma Congress. Kuwait. 1-3 December 2018.
27 Cataract Surgery for PACG. Glaucoma Congress. Kuwait. 1-3 December 2018.
28 Uveitic Glaucoma Management. Glaucoma Congress. Kuwait. 1-3 December 2018.
29 Preservatives in Glaucoma Medications. Glaucoma Congress. Kuwait. 1-3 December 2018.
30 Management of Tube Surgery Complications. Glaucoma Congress. Kuwait. 1-3 December 2018.
31 Cyclodestructive Procedures. Glaucoma Congress. Kuwait. 1-3 December 2018.
32 ICGS Course. Keynote lecture. ‘Aqueous Dynamics for Glaucoma Surgeons’. Geneva, Switzerland. 8-9 December 2018
33 ‘Updates in Glaucoma’ in Ophthalmology Updates Symposium. EVER meeting, Nice, France. 5th October 2018
34 Micropulse and mechanism of action. Iridex Micropulse Symposium. ESCRS Vienna September 2018
35 Tube surgery techniques.Glaucoma Surgery: Modern Perspectives Course. ESCRS Vienna September 2018
36 Hydrus surgery techniques.New surgical approach to glaucoma surgeries course. ESCRS Vienna September 2018
37 Cataract surgery and outflow. Combined cataract & glaucoma surgery course. ESCRS Vienna September 2018
38 Primary Tube Surgery in ‘Glaucoma surgery symposium. International Congress of Glaucoma Surgery. Montreal, Canada. September 2018
39 Cataract Surgery in Glaucoma. In ‘ ESCRS Academy: Symposium ‘ Difficult and Challenging Cases in Cataract Surgery’. XLIX Congress of Polish Ophthalmologists. Katowice, Poland June 2018
40 SLT as Primary treatment for glaucoma. Glaucoma Day. Royal College of Ophthalmologists Congress. Liverpool May 2018
41 Tube surgery complications. European Glaucoma Congress. Florence, Italy May 2018
42 Flow control in tube surgery. European Glaucoma Congress. Florence, Italy May 2018
43 Rescue operations after Tube Surgery. In Surgical Symposium. Asian Pacific Glaucoma Congress. Busan, South Korea. 13-15 April 2018
44 CyPass Clinical Trials data , Alcon Symposium. Asian Pacific Glaucoma Congress. Busan, South Korea. 13-15 April 2018
45 Aqueous Humour Dynamics in Uveitic Glaucoma. Glaucoma – An evolving paradigm Symposium. Bristol, UK. 16th March 2018
46 Mechanism of Action of Micropulse laser. MicroPulse laser Symposium. London February 2018
47 Mechanism of Action of MIGS Devices. Trends in Ophthalmology.London. February 2018
Previous Invited Lectures (2015- 2016)
Steroid induced -secondary raised IOP. Retina Meeting. Allergan. November 2016, London, UK.
Normal Tension Glaucoma case study. UK & Ireland Glaucoma Professional Club Meeting, November, London, UK.
Updates on tube surgery. UK& Ireland Glaucoma Society Congress. November 2016, Cheltenham, UK
Is this glaucoma? Allergan Glaucoma Seminar. 9th October 2016, London, UK
What’s new in glaucoma treatment. Glaucoma Seminar, Romanian Ophthalmology Congress. 7th October 2016, Siniai, Romania.
Tube Surgery Techniques. Glaucoma Surgery- Modern Perspective. European Cataract & Refractive Surgery Meeting, September 2016, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Tube surgery. SiFi Glaucoma Meeting, 9th July 2016, Bucharest, Romania.
Management of angle closure. SiFi Glaucoma Meeting, 9th July 2016, Bucharest, Romania.
Tube Surgery. European Glaucoma Society Meeting. June 2016, Prague, Czech Republic.
What’s new in glaucoma treatment. Alcon Educational meeting. 24th May 2016, Birmingham, UK.
Steroid induced -secondary raised IOP. London Retinal Meeting, MANAGING DIABETIC MACULAR OEDEMA WITH STEROIDS. 7th June 2016, London, UK.
Tubes Surgery- Techniques & Tips. Glaucoma Surgery Symposium. Royal College of Ophthalmologists. April 2016, London, UK.
Combined Cataract & glaucoma surgeries. Allergan Roadshow 2016 – Glaucoma: Shaping the Future. 10-11 March 2016, London & Bristol, UK.
Trans-TM glaucoma surgeries. Trends in Ophthalmology. 4th February 2016, London, UK.
Combine cataract & glaucoma surgeries. International Congress of glaucoma surgeries (ICGS) 18-20 February 2016, Oman.
Valved or non-valved tubes implant: Clinical guidance based on recent RCTs. International Congress of glaucoma surgeries(ICGS) 18-20 February 2016, Oman.
Trabecular outflow. Physiological & Pathological influences. UK & Ireland Glaucoma Society Meeting. 27th November 2015, Leicester, UK.
Aqueous Dynamics in Uveitic Glaucoma. UK & Ireland Glaucoma Professional Club Meeting. 7th November 2015, London, UK.
How to avoid hypotony in tube surgery. Glaucoma surgery course. World Glaucoma Congress. June 2015, Hong Kong.
Failed trabeculectomy. What next? Hot debate. World Glaucoma Congress. June 2015, Hong Kong.
Preservatives & Glaucoma drops. Glaucoma Symposium. Royal College of Ophthalmologists Annual Congress. May 2015, Liverpool, UK.
Glaucoma Grand Round. Royal College of Ophthalmologists Annual Congress. May 2015, Liverpool, UK.
Trans Trabecular meshwork surgeries. Controversies in Glaucoma. May 2015, Madrid, Spain.
Keynote lecture. Uveitic Glaucoma. Argentina National Ophthalmology Congress. May 2015, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Keynote lecture. Flow control in tube surgery. Argentina National Ophthalmology Congress. May 2015, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Keynote lecture. Glaucoma Surgeries. Argentina National Ophthalmology Congress. May 2015, Buenos Aires, Argentina.